Do you find your curls losing their shape throughout the day? or find yourself having to put your hair in a bun because no matter what you do, your curls just won’t tame?
Here are our top tips on keeping your curls defined
- Defusing. When done properly, diffusing your curls will add volume and keep your hair defined and frizz free. The best method is to section your hair with clips that won’t damage your hair. Add a good styler with hold, and while hanging your curls over the diffuser, bring the hair dryer up to the roots. See tutorial below:
- Style when wet.. Applying your styling products to wet hair will lock in the style, lock in the definition, while the moisture from the conditioner will leave you with more curls when it dries. Choose a product that will help clump your curls. Clumping is great for defined curls so use your fingertips to work in the styler and detangle.
- Moisture is key. Keeping your curls hydrated will instantly add curl definition. Dry curls will frizz and lose their shape. Use a deep conditioner once or twice a week and use a good conditioner in between. If needed, use a refresher that will add moisture throughout the day.
- Resist temptation. Once you have styled your curls and have the perfect definition, do not touch! Touching, playing or tweaking your curls will result in a loss of definition. This may also cause frizz as it will stop the clumping.
Try these styling techniques to get the most from your curl definition.
- Section your curls. Sectioning your hair will allow the styling product to be evenly applied. Start with the under layers and work your way up to the front.
- Use a good quality curl towel. This will draw out the water from your hair without disturbing the natural curl pattern. Don’t dry fully before styling though, leave a good amount of water on your curls.
- Make sure you have a stronger hold styling product. Your product needs to be able to hold your curls in place all day, so opt for a strong hold.