Being a hair blogger, I’ve learned a thing or two about how best to style my child’s hair. I have several tricks to keep her distracted and a few must have products to get the job done as quickly and painlessly as possible. Here are my favourites.
Top 10 Tips
- Make sure your child is well rested and fed before you begin to style. A tired or hungry child will be very fidgety and cranky child so bring snacks if necessary.
- Never shampoo curly hair that has not been detangled and always detangle curly hair when wet. When detangling, separate the hair into sections then starting from the tips, comb gently upwards. Try and use your fingers first as much as possible to reduce breakage.
- Be prepared to stop and start styling as needed. Children have zero chill and a short attention span. With my daughter, I sometimes have to break it up into two 20-40 min sessions, depending on the style.
- Don’t over wash curly hair as it can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause breakage. Also try to avoid using shampoos, which contain harsh surfactants like sulphates.
- Use a silk/satin bonnet or pillowcase to help protect delicate baby hair from drying out at night.
- Deep condition regularly, especially in colder months to keep hair moisturised and prevent dryness and breakage
- Distraction is everything. Find a favourite toy, game, film or TV show and let your child get engrossed in it before starting to style. My daughter is particularly fond of the finger family song on YouTube and if that fails, I bring out the big guns…her father!!
- Trim hair regularly to prevent split ends. An easy trick to trim curly hair is to twist the hair into small/medium sized single twists then gently snip off the very ends of each individual twist.
- Protect your child’s hair during messy or sand play with a swim or plastic shower cap.
- Protective styles such as braids and twists are a great way to protect your child’s hair from tangling and breakage caused by everyday friction.
Top 10 Products (in no particular order)
- Trepadora Quinoa Repair Deep Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea & Cupuacu Frizz Defence Styling Gel-Cream
- Curls Curly Q Milkshake
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
- Just For Me Hair Milk Leave-in Detangler
- Cantu Care For Your Kids Conditioning Detangler
- Trepadora Papaya Slip Taming Potion
- Tangle Teezer Thick & Curly
- Trepadora Inca Radiance Smoothing Elixir
- Afrocenchix SEAL Natural Conditioning Oil