Shedding can be disheartening when you’ve been working so hard to retain length. Even though shedding is a completely natural occurrence that happens to all hair types, there are ways you can minimise it. We love a natural remedy, often easy and affordable, using items from your kitchen, a natural homemade remedy can always save the day.
Why Does Black Tea and Coffee Stop Hair Loss?
Hair loss can be caused by a hormone called Dihydrotestosterone (often referred to as DHT) Which is produced naturally in men and woman. A team of German researchers found that caffeine blocks the damaging effects of DHT on hair follicles and stimulates the growth of new hair. Surprisingly, black tea contains more caffeine than coffee and can be used to rinse the hair, overtime minimising the effects of shredding. Read this article for more info.
Black Tea Method
- Boil some water and steep some tea bags in it
- Leave the tea bags in the hot water and allow it to cool down to room temperature
- Remove the tea bags
- After washing your hair, pour the cooled down tea on your hair and scalp
Black Coffee Method
- Brew your desired amount of coffee and let it cool to room temperature
- After shampooing, pour half of the coffee over your hair, followed by the second half
- Leave the coffee in your hair for a few minutes before rinsing with plenty of clean water
- Follow with conditioner
- Use 2-4 tea bags for a litre of water, but experiment with how much water/tea you prefer.
- For the black coffee, make a strong coffee mix, using 3-5 teaspoons per litre of water.
- Caffeine will darken and can stain your hair, so if you have lighter hair, use the minimal amount. This is more applicable to black tea.
- Any tea or coffee will work, don’t feel like you need to rush out and buy the finest tea and coffee on the market.
- Rinses should be done before or during conditioning. Don’t do it after conditioning as it may leave your hair feeling dry.
- Do this once a month. If you use caffeine too much on your hair, it can do the exact opposite and stunt hair growth.