As much as we love the summer and the warm weather, we don’t enjoy the humidity and the effects it has on our curls. Here are our top tips and the best products to fight the frizz.
How does humidity affect our hair?
When the air is humid, the air has high levels of hydrogen. (Remember, water is two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen.) So why does humidity make hair frizzy? When hydrogen bonds form between the proteins and water molecules in your hair, it will become curly and, potentially, frizzy.
Because hair is porous, it absorbs moisture when there is humidity in the air. When hair absorbs moisture, a single strand of it forms significantly more hydrogen bonds between the keratin strands it contains.
The hair essentially doubles back in on itself at a molecular level, absorbing water, forming bonds and swelling until it disrupts the cuticle, which is the smooth, outermost layer of the hair. Magnify this occurrence by an entire head of hair and the result is frizz. [sources: Stromberg, Ray].
How to control frizz
- The best way to tame frizz in humid weather is to keep your curls well moisturised. Deep condition regularly and don’t be shy with the conditioners! After you wash, take your time to apply your conditioner, making sure you leave it on for a long as possible. Afterwards, make sure to use a good leave-in conditioner and a sealant. Finger comb with the leave-in conditioner on to detangle your hair gently.
- Air-dry as much as you can. Squeeze any excess water out with a curl towel and leave to dry naturally. The more you play with your hair, the more you can cause frizz. You also don’t want to dry your hair too quickly and pull the moisture out of your curls.
- Don’t leave the house with wet hair. Your hair is more likely to pull the moisture from the air and fluff up.
The best stylers for humid weather
Using polymers, such as VP/VA Copolymer in your styling products will lock in the moisture and not allow the humidity to penetrate which results in the dreaded frizz.
- NYC Curls The Curl Gel uses VP/VA Copolymer and results in a light to medium hold finish to your curls. The fresh bamboo ginger scent will entice a spring in your step.
- Design Essentials Natural Coconut And Monoi Curl Defining Gelee is very new to the market and smells gorgeous! This product will enhance your natural waves, curls and coils for frizz-free definition.
- Avocado Kokum Curl Defining Smoothie is a light hold moisturising leave-in cream that will keep your hair hydrated and defined.
- Boucleme Curl Cream Uses humidity resistant kukui nut oil and nutrient-rich coconut fruit extract plus super conditioning oils of coconut and castor.