If your curls are damaged, lacking shine or simply just love protein, this DIY Gelatin treatment will be perfect. Gelatin is said to promote hair growth while repairing damaged hair and minimising breakage. Gelatin contains keratin proteins, which work to repair damage by binding to the hair.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin powder (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and whisk gelatin into simmering water. Make sure you whisk, to avoid lumps.
- Add the cider vinegar and continue mixing.
- When the mixture is steaming, take off the heat and allow to cool. Every now and then, gently stir the mixture, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. This is to stop it from sticking (no one wants to spend hours trying to clean a gelatin coated pan).
- Once decanted, store in the fridge.
Using your treatment
- Apply to clean, wet hair.
- Using a wide tooth comb, comb mixture through your hair.
- Leave the treatment for 10 minutes, without touching it. It will harden, which is normal.
- Once completely dry and hard, rinse with clean water. You may need to use your fingertips to gently massage the treatment out.
- Apply your favourite conditioner to finish.
It’s recommended that you do this treatment once a month. As this is a protein treatment, you may end up overloading your hair, which can head to stiff feeling strands and can make hair prone to breakage.
If your hair feels hard and dry after you’ve rinsed, rinse again and co-wash.