The Rake & Shake method was created by American curl stylist Ouidad as a method of applying products to help define, smooth and control curls and enhance the curl pattern.
Raking the product through encourages clumps to form between your fingers and shaking the hair is said to define the curl without causing frizz. This is because you’re not touching or disturbing the clumps.
- Divide wet hair into small sections. The smaller the sections, the better the results.
- Starting at the root, apply your styling product by using your fingers to rake it through the section of hair. Rake from root to tips, making sure your curls are fully coated with the product.
- Once raked through, hold the ends of the hair and gently shake it by flicking your wrist. Shake two or three times, in an up and down motion.
- Move on to the next section of hair and repeat.
Make sure your hair is fully dry before you pull it out or fluff it up.
Recommended products for your Rake and Shake
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
- Trepadora Açaí Berry Fix Defining Gel
- CURLS Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly
- Cantu Define & Shine Custard