Autumn is here which means chilly nights under a blanket, hot chocolate drinks and pumpkin spice literally everywhere. But what does this mean for your curls? You can never predict the autumn weather; one day it’s dry and crisp, the next it can be damp or rainy but with these tips, you can be sure to have great hair no matter the weather!
Your hair will feel drier in autumn as the air around you will start drying out. On cold, crisp days the air will pull moisture from your hair resulting in drier, frizzy curls. Make sure you moisturise more often, using heavier kinds of butter and conditioners.
- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Leave-In Conditioner
- Design Essentials Coconut & Monoi Curl Enhancing Dual Hydration Milk
- Trepadora Babassu Quench Leave-In Curl Primer
- Mahogany Naturals Luscious Hair Milk
Lock the moisture in
Once you’ve conditioned and applied a leave-in, lock in the hydration with an oil.Oil will seal the hair strand and create a barrier between your curls and the air around them.
You will need a heavier styler that will hold and set the curl. Gels are great as they create a cast which you can scrunch out once you have arrived at your destination. Or you may want to try a protective style.
- Don’t leave the house with wet hair. It can lead to more breakage as the hair gets cold and crispy and will weaken. If your hair hasn’t dried in time, try a satin lined hat or try a diffuser to speed up drying time.
- Pre-poo. This will prevent hair from drying out and will work as an extra conditioning treatment.
- Deep condition regularly to maintain the moisture. Prevention is better than a cure, so keep the hair hydrated as opposed to trying to get moisture back into the hair. Use a deep treatment that will also protect your hair from environmental stresses.
- Get the ends trimmed more often to prevent them from splitting and damaging the strands. The colder weather will be harsher on your ends and damaged ends will lead to breakage.